Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Hero Hunters VFX Sample


Well, it’s not exactly a ‘reel’, but it will give you a good idea of what sort of VFX work I’ve been doing.  This is a collection of short clips of hero skill and hero screen presentation VFX.

My goals for Hero VFX in Hero Hunters were twofold.  To communicate clearly to the player what was happening and when it was happening, first of all.  Good VFX in my opinion would accentuate the hero art and animation, and also give some insight into the skill design. Secondly, to keep things exciting and enticing for the players by always experimenting with new techniques, and working with programmers to add new features to the engine when needed.

For these VFX, I was kind of a one man band so I came up with the VFX concept, the 2d and 3d assets, the VFX related animations, the materials, the particle system, scripts, and the implementation.  I was also responsible for maintaining visual quality and performance throughout my tenure on the project.

The art direction was already set when I joined the project, so my VFX design had to conform to what was already established.  During this time, I was also working on several prototype projects.  Additionally, I wrote the job description for, hired, onboarded, and led a VFX artist.

Hothead Games decided to sell the IP to DECA.  Also while leading a VFX Artist and doing my normal duties on the project, I played an important role in the due diligence phase of the sale.  I onboarded DECA’s art team by planning and conducting group seminars and also through one on one mentoring.  I was also responsible for documenting not only my process, but animation process, versioning environment (with respect to artist workflow), and scripting capabilities of the engine regarding art implementation and scripted actor behaviours.

The clip without sound is a known issue.  My apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment